1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pound phyllo strudel leaves
1 cup butter or margarine melted
1 12-ounce jar honey
- Grease 13 x 9 baking dish.
- In large bowl with spoon, combine chopped walnuts, sugar and ground cinnamon until blended. Set aside.
- In baking dish, place 1 sheet of phyllo, allowing it to extend up sides of dish; brush with some butter. Repeat to make 5 more layers of phyllo; sprinkle with 1 cup walnut mixture.
- Cut remaining phyllo into approximately 13 x 9 rectangles.
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish over walnut mixture; brush with butter. Repeat to make at least 6 layers. Use small pieces if necessary but overlap.
- Sprinkle 1 cup walnut mixture evenly over phyllo
- Repeat Step 5 and 6 two more times.
- Place remaining phyllo on top of last walnut layer.
- Trim any phyllo that extends over top of dish.
- With sharp knife, cut just halfway through all layers in a diamond pattern to make 28 servings.
- Bake in 300 F oven 1 hour and 25 minutes or until top is golden brown
- Meanwhile in 1 quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat honey until hot but not boiling. Spoon hot honey evenly over Baklava.
- Cool in pan at least 1 hour, then cover and leave at room temperature until serving time.
- To serve: With sharp knife, finish cutting through layers.