1/4 cup pineapple juice (from
one can pineapple chunks,
reserve the pineapple for
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce
+ 1 tablespoon for cooking
2 tablespoons light brown sugar,
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning for
sauce + more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken cut into bite size pieces
1/2 to 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or another preferred oil)
about 1 cup pineapple chunks (reserved from can)
about 1 cup mango chunks
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional and to taste
- Chicken - To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the honey, pineapple juice, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, generously sprinkle chicken on both sides with Cajun seasoning. Add chicken to skillet and cook chicken over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side so that it has a nice sear. Chicken should be about 80 to 90% cooked through.
- Remove skillet from heat, turn heat to medium-low, and carefully add the sauce noting that it will bubble up vigorously in the first few seconds.
- Place skillet back on the heat and allow chicken to cook for about 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened and reduced some, has darkened in colour, and chicken is cooked through. Flip chicken a few times throughout.
- While chicken cooks, caramelize the fruit.
- Caramelized Pineapple and Mango - To a separate large skillet, add the coconut oil, pineapple, mango, optionally sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes, flipping every few minutes to ensure all sides are evenly cooked.
- Top chicken with caramelized fruit and serve immediately.