4 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
6 - 8 stale flaky buns, sliced
1 cup milk or cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
Confectioner's sugar and/or maple syrup for accompaniments
- The evening before, combine the melted butter and sugar in the bottom of a 9 x 9 baking dish making sure mixture is evenly across the pan. Arrange the cut buns on top, squeezing them into place.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger & salt together and pour mixture over the bread, letting it soak in.
- Top with pecans & raisins and cover with plastic wrap. Keep refrigerated overnight.
- Set out at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before placing in 350 F oven. Bake until lightly brown and set, approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with confectioners' sugar and/or maple syrup on top.
1 (13 to 16 oz.) loaf French bread, sliced 1-inch thick
6 eggs, beaten
2 c. half-and-half
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 T. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. chopped pecans
- Coat a 9x9 baking dish with PAM non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices in the pan in two rows with the slices overlapping.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Just before cooking prepare the topping right.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Continue to heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped pecans.
- Spread pecan mixture evenly over the top of the bread slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used fat free half and half)
14 oz apple pie filling
2 tsps vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
8 cups cubed dry bread
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Using a knife, cut up the apple pie filling while still in the can. Add the whole can to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the bread. Mix well so that all the bread is coated in the egg mixture.
- Spray 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray and pour in the whole mixture. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and remove the dish from the refrigerator.
- Mix together the butter, oats, and brown sugar. Spread over the bread egg mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the eggs set.