6 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 lb salt pork or bacon cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 chili sauce
2 tbsp molasses
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp salt
3 apples cored and cut in eighths
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 rum (optional)
- Wash beans, discarding any shriveled or discolored ones. Place beans in large saucepan; pour water over, cover and let stand overnight.
- Bring beans and soaking water to boil (do not change water). Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender (about 1 hour). Drain, reserve cooking liquid.
- In 6-cup casserole or baking dish, combine beans, onion, salt pork, maple syrup, chili sauce, molasses, mustard and salt. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to cover; stir well. Cover and bake in 300 F oven for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more liquid as needed to keep beans barely covered.
- Uncover and top with apple sections. Sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle melted butter over Bake for 1 hour longer or until apples are tender.
- Just before serving, drizzle with rum (if using).