1/2 cup hot water
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup neutral oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup thinly sliced almonds, toasted
- Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Prepare the loaf pan: Coat a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. Line the pan with parchment paper and coat again with vegetable oil spray.
- Add the instant coffee to the hot water and mix until the coffee has dissolved. Allow to cool (place in the refrigerator to hasten the cooling).
- In a large bowl, put together the flour, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to another bowl and whip until they form firm peaks.
- Add the sugar and egg yolks to the flour bowl, together with the baking powder, oil, honey, and coolish coffee. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites into the rest of the cake mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top of the loaves and bake for 30 minutes.
- Tent the cake with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until a metal tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Go around the edges of the cake with a butter knife and turn out and continue to cool.