1 pound medium (21/25 count)
prawns, shells and tails
2 tablespoons Ginger-Garlic
Paste, recipe follows
2 teaspoons Asian chilli-garlic/
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
For the Shredded Egg Crepes:
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon soy sauce
For the Fried Rice:
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste, recipe follows
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
4 cups cold cooked white rice
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 cup bean sprouts
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Asian chilli-garlic/hot sauce
3 spring onions, chopped
For the Ginger-Garlic Paste:
1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup fresh ginger, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons oil
- For the prawns: In a large bowl, combine the prawns with the soy sauce, Asian chilli-garlic/hot sauce and cornflour.
- Mix well to coat the prawns.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes
- For the egg crepes: In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon water.
- Set a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat and coat it lightly with peanut oil.
- Pour in half the egg mixture and swirl the pan so the egg coats the bottom.
- Cook over low heat until firm, then carefully turn with a spatula and finish cooking on the other side, about 45 seconds per side.
- Transfer the egg crepe to a plate to cool.
- Repeat with remaining egg mixture.
- When the crepes are cool enough to handle, stack, roll and slice them into thin julienne strips. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the fried rice: Set a large wok or large nonstick frying pan over high heat and swirl in 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil.
- Add the marinated prawns and stir fry until slightly pink, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the prawns to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil.
- Add the onions, celery and Ginger-Garlic Paste and stir fry until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil and the rice and stir fry until hot and a little crispy, about 2 minutes, breaking up the rice with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Fold in the peas, edamame, pineapple and bean sprouts and continue to stir fry until the vegetables heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the soy sauce and Asian chilli-garlic/hot sauce.
- Fold in the cooked shrimp and the sliced egg crepe.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with chopped spring onions.
- For the Ginger-Garlic Paste: Pulse the garlic and ginger in a food processor.
- With the processor running, stream in the oil and process to a paste.
- (You'll need 3 tablespoons of the paste for the above recipe. Refrigerate remaining paste for up to a week.)