1 small purple onion, chopped
2 big garlic cloves, no need
1 teaspoon sweet or smoked
paprika (or combo of both)
splash of balsamic or sherry
vinegar (1 tablespoon or so)
1 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes,
with their juice
a few pinches of sugar
fresh thyme - leaves from 2-3
sprigs, & extra for garnish
1 can chickpeas/gabanzo beans
1 cup coconut milk, full fat or light
1.5 cans of water (use chickpea can)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese or vegan nutritional yeast
red chile flakes
- Heat oil in a medium pot. Add the onion, garlic a few pinches of salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the paprika(s) and cook until fragrant (30 seconds or so).
- Add a good splash of balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and thyme leaves. Stir, then add the drained chickpeas, coconut milk, and water.
- Cover and gently simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Uncover and let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender and add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of red chile flakes, parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Puree. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add water if you wish the soup to be thinner.
- Good serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.