5 cups puffed rice cereal
1¾ cups salted peanuts
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons salt
4 ounces dark chocolate chips (or chopped
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs the pan on two sides.
- Place the cereal and peanuts in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar and corn syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Stir until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the cereal mixture and use a spoon or spatula to combine the two mixtures until the cereal is totally coated with the peanut butter-sugar.
- Now scrape the whole mixture out into the prepared pan. Grease your hands with some of the butter and press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let the bars cool to room temperature.
- Now melt the chocolate in the microwave or double boiler. Cover top of bars and allow the chocolate to set in the fridge.
- Use the parchment to lift the bars out of the pan.
- Cut them into bars.