1 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup coarsely grated or chopped mushrooms
1 cup coarsely grated zucchini
3/4 cup coarsely grated carrot
handful of green onion chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt, about 14 min.
- Heat a large, wide non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, then mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, green onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 min. Add to quinoa.
- Break egg into small bowl/cup and stir in cornstarch, salt and cayenne. Add this to the quinoa and vegetable mixture.
- At this point, everything can be refrigerated until later that day or the next day.
- When ready to eat, heat the non-stick frying pan over medium.
- Firmly press quinoa mixture into patties (this recipe makes about 5 larger patties).
- Cook in pan with oil of your choice until golden on both sides and warmed through, about 4 min per side.
- Top with tahini sauce and roasted plum tomatoes or surprisingly good in a hamburger bun with lettuce, mayo, ketchup, and sliced tomatoes.