1 small chopped red onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons spicy mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon,
checked for large bones or
equivalent amount of fresh
1 large baked or boiled russet
potato, peeled, and flaked
with a fork
1/4 - 1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons or more of
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Note: I like to do the first 3 steps on day one and then refrigerate everything until day 2 but this isn't necessary. I just find it easier to work with cooled ingredients.
- Bake salmon if necessary for 1/2 hour in 350 F oven. Cook bacon.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Mix the crumbled bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, lemon juice, salmon, and potato in a bowl.
- Form the mixture into small patties. If mixture seems too wet, then add necessary amount of bread crumbs so that parties are easily formed.
- In a shallow dish, combine the 1/4 - 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste.
- Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Add more oil, as necessary.