1/2 cup of sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup white flour
Baking soda - just on the tip
of your knife
1 tsp vanilla
300 - 350 g cherries (fresh or
About 2 tablespoons of butter
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- In a deep container mix the eggs with the sugar and a pinch of salt. Thoroughly beat with a mixer until pale yellow mass.
- Next, carefully add to the egg-sugar mixture flour, baking soda and vanilla.
- Gently stir with a spoon. The dough should have the consistency like thick cream.
- Coat 8 x 8 cake pan with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Pour about half of the batter into cake pan.
- On top of that, neatly lay out cherries, sprinkle berries with sugar.
- Pour in the remaining batter and place remaining cherries on the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- The cake should be checked in the normal way, i.e. the dough should not stick to a toothpick -- but note: the consistency in the middle will be more like pie than cake.
- Once out of the oven, place thin slices of butter on the cake and allow to melt and then spread and the sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Completely cool cake before cutting or eating.