1/2 cup unsalted butter at room
*Do not substitute margarine
3 tablespoons chopped curly
3 tablespoons finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped
1 minced garlic clove
Juice of one-half lemon
Salt and pepper
4 whole eggs, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs;
panko or homemade are
best for crunch
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Additional 1/4 stick (one ounce or two tablespoons) butter
- In a small bowl, mix the half-cup of butter, parsley, dill, chives, garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Put the mixture on a piece of plastic wrap and form into a one-and-a-half-inch thick roll.
- Wrap and place in the freezer for one hour or do this part the day before and place in fridge overnight.
- You end up with what looks like not a big enough roll -- but it is.
- Place one chicken breast into a medium-sized plastic baggie and gently pound until about one-eighth of an inch thick.
- Remove from bag and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat with each chicken breast.
- Remove the frozen herb butter roll from the plastic wrap and cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Place one on each chicken breast and roll the chicken breast up around it.
- Secure it with a toothpick.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls, one with flour, one with the beaten eggs and one with the breadcrumbs. Roll each chicken breast first in the flour, then dip generously into the beaten eggs, and finally roll in the breadcrumbs, applying gentle pressure to ensure good breading coverage.
- Over medium heat, pan-fry the chicken in the vegetable oil and additional butter until golden brown. Bake the chicken in the oven at 325°F for about 40 minutes; the temperature inside the chicken should reach 180°F.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve immediately.