Salt and black pepper, to season
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp sesame or vegetable oil
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
3 tsp fresh garlic, minced
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine) or
any white wine
4 cups rich chicken stock (or 4
chicken boullion, plus 4 cups of
1/2 cup fresh shitake mushrooms
Fresh or jarred jalapeño slices
1 cup of semi-precooked chopped
veggies (what have you?) optional
1 - 2 tsp sea salt, to taste
2 - 4 large eggs
2 (3 oz) packs dried ramen noodles
small bundle of chives cut into tiny pieces
- Slice chicken into thin pieces.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large deep skillet or pat over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook through, flipping from time to time.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate until ready to add to Ramen dish.
- Make the ramen broth: Heat the oil in the same pot as you cooked chicken in - no need to clean pot.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the soy sauce and mirin, and stir to combine.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock, cover, and bring to boil. Remove the lid, and let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms, jalapeño slices, and veggies.
- Simmer gently for another 10 minutes, and season with salt, to taste.
- Add the chicken to Broth.
- Make the soft-boiled eggs: Fill a medium sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs, and bring to a boil. Gently lower the eggs (still cold from the fridge) into the boiling water, and let simmer for 7 minutes (for a slightly-runny yoke) or 8 minutes (for a soft, but set-up yoke).
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water. When the timer finishes, transfer the eggs to the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Wait at least 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle, then carefully peel away the shell and slice in quarters.
- Set aside.
- When the eggs are finished cooking, add the ramen noodles to the boiling water.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft, then divide the noodles into large bowls.
- Add the ramen broth.
- Top with the chives, and the soft boiled egg. Serve immediately.