3 pounds beef short ribs (or more if the ribs do not look meaty)
2 tablespoons olive oil
good pinch of salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon ginger, grated or finely chopped
large can of stewed tomatoes juice and all
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-3 tablespoons thai red curry pasted
(depending on heat preference)
1 head of butter lettuce, leaves torn off
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded + chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
bunch of chives, chopped
3/4 cup chopped grape tomatoes
1 chopped avocado
a pinch of salt and pepper
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons curry paste
- Heat a large heavy bottom skillet over medium high-heat and add the olive oil. Add the ribs to the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear the ribs on all sides for about 1 minute per side. Remove the ribs and place them in the crockpot bowl.
- To the bowl add the garlic, ginger, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, and curry paste.
- Cover and cook for about 8 hours on low (5-6 on high), or until meat is falling off the bone.
- Rotate short ribs once or twice during cooking. The cooking times will vary depending on the size of your short ribs.
- To make the mango salsa toss the mango, jalalpeno, lime juice, parsley, chives, tomatoes & avocado, and a pinch of salt and pepper in small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your likings. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the peanut sauce add the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce and thai red curry paste to a medium size pot. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a low boil, stirring until the peanut butter melts into the coconut milk and the brown sugar has dissolved to make a smooth peanut sauce. Set aside.
- When ready to eat remove the short ribs from the crockpot and shred with a fork. Divide the meat among the lettuce cups and spoon some of the sauce that is sitting in the crockpot over the meat. Top with mango salsa and then drizzle on the peanut sauce. Sprinkle the peanuts over top.