1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, cut into
bite size pieces
12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped carrot
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
with liquid, chopped
2 - 3 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 pinch saffron
1/4 pinch dried oregano, or to taste
1/4 pinch dried basil, or to taste
1/4 pinch dried thyme, or to taste
1/2 orange, zested
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups pasta
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in your largest, deep pot over medium heat. Season chicken & sausages with salt and pepper and add to pot and lightly brown on all sides. Set meat aside.
- Stir in celery, onion, green bell pepper, carrot, and garlic; cook and stir until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes with their juice, water, chicken bouillon cubes, and bay leaf into the vegetable mixture.
- Stir in red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, saffron, oregano, basil, thyme, orange zest, and white wine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the flavors have blended, at least 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add sausage, chicken & mixed vegetables to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta to pot and cook until al dente.