1+ cup of chocolate wafers after being
smushed in food processor
3/4 cup of bitter or semisweet chocolate,
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted and still hot
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1-1/2 cups+ bittersweet or semisweet
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1-1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/2 cup+ bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon (smooth peanut butter)
- Crust: In a food processor, blend cookies, chopped chocolate and brown sugar together until finely ground.
- Drizzle in melted butter and process until crumbs begin to stick together, scraping down the bowl if needed.
- Transfer crumbs to LARGE springform pan.
- Wrap fingers with plastic wrap and press crumb mixture up sides to within 1/2 inch of top, then evenly over bottom of pan.
- Chill crust until next step.
- Fudge: Bring cream to simmer in large saucepan.
- Remove from heat; whisk in chocolate and peanut butter until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Can do above in microwave, stirring after each minute until smooth.
- Pour mixture into bottom of chilled crust and spread in an even layer.
- Refrigerate until cheesecake layer is ready.
- Heat oven: To 325°F.
- Cheesecake: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar in large bowl until well-blended and fluffy.
- Beat in sour cream, then eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour over fudge layer.
- Place springform pan on middle baking rack with large pan full of water on rack that is lower.
- Bake cake until slightly firm to the touch and the top appears dry, about 1 hour. (In the Andes this took over 2 hours). The centre two inches should only move slightly when pan is gently shaken.
- Transfer cheesecake to rack in the fridge.
- Ganache: Heat cream in a small saucepan until simmering. Off the heat, whisk in chocolate and peanut butter. (You can also do this in microwave, heating 1 minute at a time and stirring until blended.)
- Pour onto chilled cheesecake and spread to the edges.
- Return cheesecake to the fridge overnight.
- Serve in very skinny wedges!
- Freezes well.