2 tablespoons warm water
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beanten egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the filling
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes,
3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped cashew nuts
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder
4 oz cream cheese
icing sugar for desired sweetness
- In 2 tablespoons of warm water (around 110 F), mix the yeast and wait for 8 -10 minutes until it is frothy.
- Combine salt, sugar, flour, mix in the warm milk, then the yeast mixture and then the beaten egg.
- Knead combination adding a little at a time, either water or flour, until everything is well combined and forms a sticky dough, then add the oil and knead for few minutes more.
- Cover and let rise for about 2 hours.
- In the meantime prepare the stuffing by mixing all the ingredients (coconut flakes, dry fruits, nuts, sugar & cardamom powder) together.
- After 2 hours, the dough should have doubled in size. Deflate the dough and knead it well.
- Roll dough out into rectangle approximately 9 x 5 and then cover with the stuffing.
- Starting from the longer side roll into tube as you would with cinnamon buns.
- Cut tube into approximately 12 slices.
- Place rolls in small square cake pan which has been prepared first with Pam or greased with butter.
- Place several paper thin slices of butter on the top.
- Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and bake the bread for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Immediately upon removing from oven, spread combination of cream cheese & icing sugar on the top.