Last Updated: June 6, 2012
Meatless Balls with Sweet & Sour Sauce
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
2 cups bread crumbs (We save our bread crusts & make our own.
Usually from multi-grain and fruit breads)
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
1-1/4 cup apricot jam
1-1/2 cup ketchup
1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 good dash of a hot pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cheddar cheese and ricotta cheese until well blended.
- Mix in onion, pecans, basil, salt and sage.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Form the mixture into 2 inch balls, and place them in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, vinegar, apricot jam, ketchup, oregano and hot sauce.
- Pour over meatless balls.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until meatballs are firm, and sauce is thick and bubbly.
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, small dice
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, grated
1 yellow squash, grated
1 green zucchini, grated
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 can cooked black beans
2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 - 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Grate carrots, squash and zucchini in food processor.
- In largest skillet, heat the olive oil until almost smoking.
- Add the onions and lower the heat to medium. Add the garlic. Cook until tender and soft.
- Add the carrots, squash and zucchini and season.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft and hot.
- Add the black beans, egg, paprika, parsley and oats.
- Take off heat and mix.
- Place in a bowl and let rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- Form veggie patties to desired size and dredge in flour to lightly coat.
- Place a large skillet on the stove on medium high heat, add olive oil, and when hot place patties.
- Flip the burger when golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes and cook the other side the same.
- These freeze well (put wax paper or cooking paper between layers) and can be heated in the micro-wave for a couple of minutes for a quick meal.