4 split chicken breasts, bone-in,
Salt and freshly ground black
1 pound of asparagus, ends
removed and cut in thirds
1 red pepper, cored and seeded
Chives, scissored and added to
1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
For the Chinese dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp dark sesame oil
1/2 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with some of the olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and set aside until ready to use.
- Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
- Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces.
- Combine the cut chicken, asparagus and peppers in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetables. Add the chives and sesame seeds and season to taste.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.