4 cups watermelon juice (about 3 pounds of watermelon, depending on how juicy it is)
2/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar (or a bit more depending on the natural sweetness of the fruit)
Optional flavours: jasmine extract, ground cinnamon, coconut
- To obtain the watermelon juice, chop up your watermelon and place pieces in a colander sitting inside another bowl.
- Press watermelon pieces and pass through colander.
- Discard left over pulp.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with about 1/2 cup of the juice and mix until smooth, being sure there are no lumps of starch.
- In a wide pot, add this to the rest of the juice and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add sugar and taste for sweetness (you can adjust by adding just a little more).
- If using, add the cinnamon, coconut flavouring or jasmine.
- As the mixture begins to cook, you will notice it getting thicker.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until it coats the back of a spoon and a finger drawn through it leaves a line (you are looking for a consistency similar to lemon curd).
- Pour into individual containers for serving and set in the refrigerator, 4 to 6 hours or until chilled and set. It will still be a little wobbly and you can eat it directly out of the glass or ramekin with a spoon.
- Decorate the tops with whipped cream and Spicy Chocolate-Covered Tortilla Chips (see below).
Spicy Chocolate-Covered Tortilla Chips
1+ teaspoon chile powder
1 cup roughly chopped chocolate
20 tortilla chips, the thicker the better
- Line a cookie sheet or large plate with a piece of parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate adding a bit of cream or butter to thin down just a bit if necessary
- Working with a few chips at a time, submerge the chips into the chocolate sauce. Use a fork or small slotted spoon to transfer each chip to the parchment-lined sheet, letting the excess melted chocolate drip through the tines or slats.
- Sprinkle with chile powder
- Place the sheet or plate of chocolate-covered chips into the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set and harden.
- If you're not planning on eating these chips immediately store them in the refrigerator until you're ready. They will last for up to 1 week, but are best within a few days of making them.