1 medium red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons cider or apple vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
3 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 3"-long stick
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
olive oil spray
2 large eggs
- To make the dip: Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over moderate heat, and add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, then caramelize. This should take between 10 and 15 minutes. The lower the heat, the longer it takes, but the less likely you are to burn the onions.
- Once the onions are a medium brown, remove from the heat and add the vinegar.
- Place the onions and vinegar into a food processor. Add the honey, mustard, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. Can be made the day before. Take out of fridge about an hour before serving.
- To make the zucchini sticks: Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the tablespoon of salt. Let the zucchini drain for 1- 3 hours; rinse and pat dry.
- Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and Italian spices; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment, and spray the parchment with olive oil.
- Dredge sticks a few at a time in the egg, then roll in the crumb mixture. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake sticks for 12 minutes, turn over, and bake for an additional 8 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.