1 tablespoon pineapple, lime or lemon juice (or combination)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
24 large shrimp butterflied fresh or frozen works (shell removed and deveined)
1 large egg
3/4 c flour
1/2 c beer or use left over liquid from marinade above
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 c flaked coconut
2 - 3 c oil for frying (prefer cold pressed coconut oil)
1 c apricot jam
Dashes of hot sauce to taste
Dash of salt
Splash lime juice (or any combination of the 3 juices)
Splash orange juice
Splash Pineapple juice
Shredded filo (or take regular filo and cut into shreds)
- Mix together coconut milk, juice, ginger and garlic and place shrimp in marinade over night or at least 4 hours.
- Next in medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer or liquid and baking powder.
- In another 2 separate bowls place 1/4 cup flour and some of the coconut.
- Dredge shrimp in flour, shaking off excess flour.
- Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off.
- Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- When coconut gets diminished or clumpy, add more to bowl.
- After coconut dredge, wrap shredded filo around each shrimp.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - can be layered in container.
- Next heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer or deep skillet
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm with apricot dipping sauce (below).
For the sauce:
Combine the apricot jam, hot sauce, salt, lime, pineapple juice, and orange juice in a bowl and mix until all ingredients are blended and serve with shrimp.