tenderloins or breasts, cut
into nugget-sized pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk or cream
1 1/2 cups Panko (or crushed
2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh ginger,
grated or a tablespoon of
1 teaspoon chili paste or hot
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray or brush it with the olive oil.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour the buttermilk/cream overtop. Mix well and set aside.
- In a shallow pie dish or large bowl add the Panko, flour and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk/cream, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip.
- While the chicken is baking make the sauce. Combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, ginger. chili paste/hot sauce, sesame oil, cinnamon, cloves, garlic powder and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- Pour sauce over chicken making sure all pieces are coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes more, then remove from oven.
- Serve with extra sesame seeds and any extra sauce you may want for dipping.