2 large eggs
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
8 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter. I use the microwave for about a minute.
- In a large bowl add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and lastly the butter you just melted. whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, don't over mix.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula; set aside.
- Rinse & dry your bowl and add the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and beat on high-speed with a handheld electric mixer until smooth and combined, about 1 minute.
- Turn the cream cheese mixture out into the prepared pan and using a knife or spatula, form an even, smooth, flat layer.
- Add the jam in small dollops distributed evenly over the pan and then using a spatula or knife, spread and swirl the jam into the cream cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until done. The edges should be set and while the centre will be glossy and a bit loose, it should still be set to an extent and not overly jiggly. The toothpick test is unreliable because the bars will be done but the moist cream cheese layer will make the toothpick look wet.
- Bars firm up as they cool. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 3 hours before slicing and serving.
- Bars will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.