For the dough:
3/4 cup warm milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp granulated dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1/2 cup to work the dough)
For the filling:
1 cup chopped strawberries
(natural or frozen)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Cream cheese spread:
1 cup cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crumble:
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup plain flour
2 oz. / 60 g unsalted butter, melted
Note: You'll probably want to make the Strawberry Coulis (see below) the day before.
- For the dough: In a large bowl combine the warm milk, melted butter and granulated sugar. Stir in the yeast and let it sit until it is foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beaten egg, the salt and vanilla extract and mix
- Add the flour to the wet mixture and work till you obtain a sticky dough but not to the fingers. Add the 1/2 cup flour to knead the dough over a floured working surface for about 5 minutes.
- Allow to prove for 2 hours in a warm place
- For the filling: Strawberry coulis: In a small saucepan combine the chopped strawberries, water, lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a boil and when the fruit is tender process briefly. Allow to reduce stirring gently over a low fire. Refrigerate until you need to use it.
- Cream cheese spread: combine the softened cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla extract and mix.
- Work the dough on a floured working surface with a rolling pin into a 12" x 16"rectangle, 1/2" inch tall
- Spread the cream cheese over the surface and the strawberry coulis over the cream.
- Roll the rectangle up lengthwise into a long jellyroll. Slice it into 1 1/2" inch pieces
- Prepare an 8" x 13" inch baking tin with vegetable oil spray. Place the rolls in the tin with a space between them.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and melted butter to form the crumble. Sprinkle the mixture over each roll. Allow to prove for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180º C / 350º F and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- Allow to cool