2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 Large Onion diced
1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
2 Tablespoons Parsley chopped
1 Bay leaf crushed
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Pounds stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 Slices Bacon (thick-cut if possible) diced
12 Small White onions
1/2 Pound Sliced mushrooms
2 Cloves Garlic minced
1 Teaspoon Salt
- Combine first seven ingredients, mix well, add beef.
- Marinate at least 3 hours (overnight if refrigerated).
- Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- In skillet, saute bacon and remove.
- Brown meat in bacon fat.
- Combine beef, bacon, vegetables and seasonings in slow cooker.
- Pour over enough marinade to cover -- add more wine if necessary.
- Cook on high 6-8 hours
- Shortly before serving, make a slurry of 1 tablespoon of flour and juice from the marinade and add to crock pot. Stir until mixed in well and cook a bit longer until mixture slightly thicker.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.