2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 pinch nutmeg, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup parmesan, grated
For the bread:
1 pastry dough, thawed if frozen
2 cups chicken, cooked
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups broccoli florets, cut into
small pieces and steamed
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- In a medium, heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, use a whisk to whisk in the flour.
- Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Increase the heat to high, and gradually whisk in the milk.
- Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper, and cook - stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and is very smooth, then stir in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and spread the pastry dough on a prepared baking sheet - making a large rectangle.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken, cheddar, and broccoli together with the sauce.
- Spread the chicken mixture down the center of the pastry dough, leaving as much dough on the sides as is possible.
- Fold the sides up over the filling. You can cut the sides in angled strips and then fold those in a criss-cross pattern to form a braid ~ depends on how much room you have and how fancy you want it to be.
- Brush the egg wash over the top, and bake for about 30 - 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Note 2: I wrap the completed pieces first in parchment paper and then tin foil, and they freeze
remarkably well! Let them thaw, a couple of minutes in the microwave and they're