for the pan
2 cups flour, plus more for
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
1 2-inch (5-cm) piece of ginger,
peeled and finely grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
2 tablespoons black sesame
seeds, plus more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush the inside surfaces of an 8½ by 4½–inch (21.5 by 11–cm) loaf pan with a little oil.
- Dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Then add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, almond/coconut milk, ginger, vanilla, and salt.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the carrots, and finally the oil.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the sesame seeds. You want it to be completely covered in seeds.
- Bake until the middle of the loaf has puffed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing.