3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
For the Filling:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups frozen cherries,
thawed, drained, and cut in
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan, line with parchment paper (so that it over hangs slightly from the pan) and grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the crust, in a medium bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, flour, salt, and lemon zest. Use your fingers or a wooden spoon to work the mixture into a shaggy dough. Big bits of butter will remain and the flour won’t be entirely incorporated That’s perfect.
- Separate 1/2 cup of the shaggy dough and place it in a small bowl and add the oats. Work the oats into the mixture to create a crumble. Set aside.
- With the remaining dough, continue to stir with the spoon until it forms a homogenous ball of soft dough. Place the dough in large chunks in the prepared pan. Add a bit of flour to your fingers and press the dough across the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Bake the dough for 12 to 15 minutes until browned around the edges. While the crust bakes, assemble the filling.
- To make the filling, in a medium bowl (used the same bowl you made the crust in) whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, yogurt, and salt. Whisk until smooth and well incorporated.
- Place drained cherry halves across the the surface of the baked crust and slowly pour the lemon filling over the cherries. Sprinkle the oat topping over the filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set through. Give the pan a light shake and if the mixture is still very wavy in the center allow it to make for a few minutes long. A little jiggle is ok.
- Cool to room temperature and chill for an hour before slicing.