1 cup milk (reduced fat fine)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ cup flour
2 cups water, divided
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
¼ cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1 pound boneless skinless
2 teaspoons seasoning (any
basic blend you like)
¼ cup shredded cheese (any
kind will work)
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Sauce: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and generously grease (!) a 9x13 baking dish
- Bring the chicken broth and ½ cup milk to a low boil in a saucepan.
- Whisk the other ½ cup milk with the poultry seasoning and flour; add the mixture to the boiling liquid and whisk until a smooth creamy sauce forms.
- Assembly: In a large bowl, mix the sauce from from above with one cup water, quinoa, and bacon and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the (seriously greased and prepared) baking dish.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and lay the chicken strips over the top of the quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Broccoli: While the casserole is in the oven, place the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute until it turns bright green and then run under cold water. Set aside.
- Bake: Remove the casserole from the oven, check the mixture by stirring it around in the pan, and if need be, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to get the right consistency.
- When the quinoa and chicken are cooked and the sauce is thickened, add the broccoli and a little bit of water (up to one cup) until the consistency is creamy and smooth and you can stir it up easily in the pan.
- Top with the cheese and bake for 5 minutes, or just long enough to melt the cheese.