6 ounce container mascarpone cheese
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
Chocolate Zabaglione, recipe below
2-1/2 cups espresso coffee, warmed
24 crisp ladyfinger cookies
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
Dark chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone.
- Then fold in the chilled Chocolate Zabaglione (see recipe below).
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the warmed espresso and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in another medium bowl until blended.
- Line a 9 1/4 by 5 by 2 3/4-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to extend over the sides.
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, dip 8 cookies into the espresso, and arrange in a single layer side by side over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies to cover.
- Repeat dipping 8 of the cookies in the espresso and layering the cookies and remaining mascarpone mixture 2 more times. Dip the remaining 8 cookies in the espresso and arrange side by side atop the tiramisu.
- Press lightly to compact slightly (the last layer may extend above the pan sides).
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Unwrap the plastic from atop the tiramisu.
- Invert the tiramisu onto a platter.
- Remove the plastic.
- Sift the cocoa over the tiramisu, and with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, make dark chocolate shavings and sprinkle over top.
2 tablespoons whipping cream, or heavy cream
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup coffee or chocolate liqueur
Pinch of salt
- Add cream and chocolate to a heavy small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, liqueur, and salt in a large glass bowl until blended.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.
- Whisk the egg mixture over the simmering water until it is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate to chill completely.