9 oz butter (2 sticks), room
9 oz dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ground almonds
1 fullish cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch sea salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
pinch of allspice
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Whisky
2 tablespoons runny honey
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup) Icing sugar
2 - 4 tablespoons Whisky
- Grease & then flour a 2.4 litre bundt tin well, set aside and pre-heat the oven to 160C (325F).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, creamy and fluffy. Scrape down with the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl with a spatula before adding the next egg.
- Fold through the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves and allspice and mix until thoroughly mixed.
- Scrape the batter into the tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted with a spatula comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and leaving the cake to cool.
- Once cool make the syrup: Combine all these ingredients in a small saucepan and set over a low heat. Once it starts simmering remove from the heat.
- Prick holes with a sharp steak knife over the entire cake and spoon or brush the syrup evenly over the cake, leaving it to soak in.
- Once cold, drizzle over the glaze: In a medium bowl add the icing sugar and then add enough whisky to make a thick but pourable glaze.