¾ sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ baking soda
2½ teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups cherries cut in half or quarters
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cherry sauce:
⅓ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1½ cups cherry juice (or I used Mora
here in Ecuador -- which is BlackBerry)
½ teaspoon almond extract
1½ tablespoons butter
For the almond glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon almond flavouring
3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a bowl, beat the egg, then add the sour cream. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir well.
- Toss the dough onto a slightly floured surface and roll it into a rectangle ¼ inch thick. Spread it lightly with the butter. Cover it with the cherries, then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the cherries. Roll it up like a jelly roll and cut it into 9-12 pieces, as desired.
- Prepare your rectangle baking pan, by spraying it with cooking spray. Place the rolls, cut side up, close together in the pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugars, corn starch, juice, and colouring. Bring this mixture to a boil and stir constantly over medium heat. oil until the mixture thickens slightly (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the rolls. Bake them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter and flavouring. Add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time until the glaze is drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the almond glaze over the cooled rolls.