2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 pound of phyllo dough
1 cup butter, melted
Vanilla Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, spit in half and seeds removed
flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of softened butter and vanilla extract, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in chocolate chips, pecans and walnuts.
- Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with some of the melted butter.
- Layer 10 pieces of phyllo in the dish, brushing each piece with butter before adding the next (keep the remaining dough covered with a damp towel).
- Gently spread 1/2 of the cookie dough over the phyllo dough (the layer will be somewhat thin).
- Layer 10 pieces of phyllo on top, brushing each with butter before adding the next.
- Spread with the remaining half of the cookie dough.
- Now add the third and final layer of phyllo dough. Layer on 12 pieces of phyllo right on top, brushing each with butter before adding the next.
- Cut into the baklava to make strips, about 1 1/2 inches wide. Then make diagonal slices, about 1 1/2 inches apart, to create a diamond pattern.
- Bake until golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Add the water, brown sugar, vanilla, vanilla bean seeds and the vanilla bean pods to a medium sauce pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the vanilla bean pods.
- Pour the syrup over the warm baklava and let soak, for at least 6 hours or overnight (I covered my pan after about 2 hours of cooling with plastic wrap).
- When ready to serve drizzle each piece with melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.