3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3 shots of hot sauce
zest and juice of 2 limes (1/3 cup of juice)
7 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 carrot peeled and shredded
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups rice
1 lb. peeled and deveined jumbo cooking
shrimp (thawed if frozen)
2 oz. fresh snow peas cut into strips
- In a 5 qt crock pot, combine chicken broth, water, hot sauce, salt, cayenne pepper, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and ginger.
- Stir in onion, pepper, carrot, coconut, raisins and rice.
- Cover and cook on low 3 1/2 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Check after 3 hours and if liquid is absorbed, but rice is not tender, add 1 more cup water.
- When rice is tender, stir in shrimp and snow peas.
- Cook 30 minutes longer.