Thursday, 1 August 2013

The Best Laid Schemes o’ Mice and Men


Can it be fancied that Deity ever vindictively / Made in his image a mannikin merely to madden it? ~ Edgar Allan Poe #quote

Often the real test of courage is not to die, but to live. ~ Conte Vittorio Alfieri #quote

The best laid schemes o’ mice and men / Gang aft a-gley / And leave us naught but grief and pain / For promised joy. ~ Robert Burns #quote

All hope abandon, ye who enter here. ~ Dante Alighieri #quote

Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent. ~ Dionysius the Elder #quote

And silence, like a poultice, comes / To heal the blows of sound. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes #quote

Heav’n but the Vision of fulfill’d Desire / And Hell the Shadow of a Soul on fire. ~ Omar Khayyam #quote

Had I been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. ~ Alfonso X #quote

Great wits are sure to madness near allied / And thin partitions do their bounds divide. ~ John Dryden #quote


I love fools' experiments, I am always making them. ~ Charles Darwin #quote

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. ~ Carl Gustav Jung #quote

Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness. ~ Blaise Pascal #quote


A man cannot be too careful in his choice of enemies. ~ Oscar Wilde #quote

I have spread my dreams under your feet / Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams. ~ William B. Yeats #quote

There are but two powers in the world, the sword & the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind. ~ N. Bonaparte #quote

A wise man, recognizing that the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering. ~ Buddha #quote


I do want to get rich but I never want to do what there is to do to get rich. ~ Gertrude Stein #quote

Our business in this world is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson #quote

Meredith: It hurts to grow. Anyone who says it doesn't is lying. ~ Grey's Anatomy #linesfromTV

It is said that God is always on the side of the heaviest battalions. ~ Voltaire #quote






A community is like a ship, everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm. ~ Henrik Ibsen #quote

Try-try-try-try-to think o' something different / Oh-my-God-keep-me from goin' lunatic! ~ Rudyard Kipling #quote

Poets alone should kiss and tell. ~ Dorothy Parker #quote

He takes false shadows for true substances. ~ William Shakespeare #quote
Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald #quote

If high heels were so wonderful, men would still be wearing them. ~ Sue Grafton #quote

The question is: what is a sane man to do in an insane society? ~ Joseph Heller #quote

Never mistake motion for action. ~ Ernest Hemingway #quote


I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. ~ Dudley Field Malone #quote

Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur. ~ Alvin Toffler #quote

Marriage is like wine. It is not to be properly judged until the second glass. ~ Douglas William Jerrold #quote

If Columbus had an advisory committee he would probably still be at the dock. ~ Arthur J. Goldberg #quote

Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness. ~ Blaise Pascal #quote

Hidden in a long text, there are perhaps three lines that count. ~ Alexander Kluge #quote

I’ve been told that words fall from my mouth / Like cross stitch pictures framed on the wall ~  Sigred Philipsen #quote

A man is a god in ruins. ~ Duke Ellington #quote

Old age is no place for sissies. ~ Bette Davis #quote

I want you to take away the hope because that's the thing that's killing me. ~ Denis Leary #quote

First law on holes - when you're in one, stop digging! ~ Denis Healey #quote

I'd love to retouch my whole life. ~ Dusty Springfield #quote