Friday, 25 October 2013

Destiny is Made Known Silently

No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made. Destiny is made known silently. ~ Agnes de Mille #quote

On Monday mornings I am dedicated to the proposition that all men are created jerks. ~ H. Allen Smith #quote

You say you want a revolution / Well you know / We all want to change the world / You tell me that it's evolution~ The Beatles #lyrics




Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman ~
Harrison #lyrics

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf. ~ H.L. Mencken #quote

Bores can be divided into two classes; those who have their own particular subject, and those who do not need a subject. ~ A.A. Milne #quote

There's nothing you can do that can't be done / Nothing you can sing that can't be sung ~ Lennon/McCartney #lyrics

I look at the world and I notice it's turning / While my guitar gently weeps ~ Harrison #lyrics


If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders. ~ Hal Abelson #quote

There is no way to peace; peace is the way. ~ A.J. Muste #quote

Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever ~
Lennon/McCartney #Lyrics


No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it to anyone else. ~ Charles Dickens #quote

You got to have smelt a lot of mule manure before you can sing like a hillbilly. ~ Hank Williams #quote

If one sticks too rigidly to one's principles, one would hardly see anybody. ~ Agatha Christie #quote

What would you think if I sang out of tune / Would you stand up and walk out on me? ~ Lennon/McCartney #lyrics
 


I don't mind you thinking I'm stupid, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid. ~ Harlan Ellison #quote

I have always observed that to succeed in the world one should seem a fool, but be wise. ~ Charles de Montesquieu #quote

One can be the master of what one does, but never of what one feels. ~ Gustave Flaubert #quote

When I hear the word culture - I release the safety-catch of my Browning. ~ Hanns Johst #quote

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes. ~ Gotthold Ephraim Lessing #quote

Poetry is life distilled. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks #quote

A crash is when your competitor's program dies. When your program dies, it is an 'idiosyncrasy'. ~ Guy Kawasaki #quote

Every government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck. ~ Guy de Maupassant #quote


Give me the ready hand rather than the ready tongue. ~ Cesare Pavese #quote

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. ~ Groucho Marx #quote

It's nice to see that look of alarm on the faces of the others. ~ Graham Chapman #quote

Destiny waits alike for the free man as well as for him enslaved by another's might. ~ Aeschylus #quote

Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent. ~ H.P. Lovecraft #quote



Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live. ~ G. Flaubert #quote

The danger chiefly lies in acting well; no crime's so great as daring to excel. ~ Charles Churchill #quote

The function of the press in society is to inform, but its role in society is to make money. ~ A.J. Liebling #quote

One arrives at style only with atrocious effort, with fanatical and devoted stubbornness. ~ Gustave Flaubert #quote




Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics. ~ Godfrey Harold Hardy #quote

It is right to hate sin, but not to hate the sinner. ~ Giovanni Guareschi #quote

To be complex does not mean to be fragmented. This is the paradox and the genius of our Canadian civilization. ~ Adrienne Clarkson #quote

For there is no defense for a man who, in the excess of his wealth, has kicked the great altar of Justice out of sight. ~ Aeschylus #quote
Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one. ~ A.J. Liebling #quote

You just get the vibes of your surroundings and it rubs off on you. ~ Gordon Lightfood #quote

I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile. ~ Goldie Hawn #quote

In some cases non-violence requires more militancy than violence. ~ Cesar Chavez #quote