Monday, 13 January 2014

On the Road He Took to Avoid It

Action is the antidote to despair. ~ Joan Baez #quote

The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern. ~ Lord Acton #quote

Now that I am sixty, I see why the idea of elder wisdom has passed from currency. ~ John Updike #quote

And I don't get down on nobody else for doing whatever else they do. To each his own. ~ Little Richard #quote

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about. ~ John von Neumann #quote

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. ~ Jerry Garcia #quote

Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them. ~ John Updike #quote

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. ~ Lord Acton #quote
Doing nothing is very hard to do... you never know when you're finished. ~ Leslie Nielsen #quote

Anyone who attempts to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin. ~ John von Neumann #quote

How do you measure your value? ~ Loretta Lynn #quote

I rank myself no higher in the scheme of things than a policeman - whose utility would disappear if there were no criminals ~ Lord Salisbury #quote

An architect should live as little in cities as a painter. Send him to our hills, and let him study there what nature understands by a buttress, and what by a dome.  ~ John Ruskin #quote

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. ~ Lily Tomlin #quote

As soon as war is declared it will be impossible to hold the poets back. Rhyme is still the most effective drum. ~ Jean Giraudoux #quote

Intensity is so much more becoming in the young. ~ Joanne Woodward #quote

We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us. ~ Jean-Paul Sartre #quote

A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming. ~ Jane Fonda #quote

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. ~ Jean de La Fontaine #quote

There's only a step from the sublime to the ridiculous, but there's no road leading from the ridiculous to the sublime. ~ Lion Feuchtwanger #quote

I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things... I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind. ~ Leo Buscaglia #quote

Numb is the new deep, done with the old me, and talk is the same cheap it's been. ~ John Mayer #quote

If I was starting off now, I would probably have taken one or two different turnings along the way. ~ Len Murray #quote

I can teach anybody how to get what they want out of life. The problem is that I can’t find anybody who can tell me what they want. ~ Mark Twain #quote

We are built to make mistakes, coded for error. ~ Lewis Thomas #quote

We seem, as it were, to have conquered and peopled half the world in a fit of absence of mind. ~ John Robert Seeley #quote

Eternity: a moment standing still for ever. ~ James Montgomery #quote

His answer trickled through my head like water through a sieve. ~ Lewis Carroll #quote

Generalizations, like brooms, ought not to stand in a corner forever; they ought to sweep as a matter of course. ~ John Lukacs #quote

God, I'm just a fat bald guy, 60 years old, singing the blues, you know? ~ Joe Cocker #quote

I know well what I am fleeing from but not what I am in search of. ~ Michel de Montaigne #quote

Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun. ~ John Lennon #lyrics

I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll #quote

Only the mediocre are always at their best. ~ Jean Giraudoux #quote

Courtesies cannot be borrowed like snow shovels; you must have some of your own. ~ John Wanamaker #quote

The grim fact is that we prepare for war like precocious giants, and for peace like retarded pygmies. ~ Lester B. Pearson #quote

I've learned ... that one should keep his words both soft and tender because tomorrow he may have to eat them. ~ Andy Rooney #quote

One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us ~ Michael Cibenko #quote

It may be doubted whether any character can be named which is distinctive of a race & is constant. ~ Charles Darwin #quote

We lost because we told ourselves we lost. ~ Leo Tolstoy #quote

I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy. It's not giving a damn. ~ Leo Buscaglia #quote


 Via:  Zen Pencils